Brain Injury Symptoms to Watch For
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be devastating, and, sadly, they happen all the time. That’s because nearly any type of accident that results in a blow to the head can cause these catastrophic injuries. A TBI can damage, bruise, or even tear the brain tissue, leading to serious and far-reaching health consequences. Despite the deadly seriousness of a TBI, it can still be challenging to recognize the signs of one.
At The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C., our experienced Virginia Beach brain injury lawyers know how devastating a TBI can be. If someone else caused your injury, we’re here to stand up for what’s right. With over a decade of experience helping accident victims, we can answer your questions and help you seek the full and fair compensation you need. To find out how our team could help you, call us at (757) 260-3675 or reach out to us online today.
TBIs vary in severity and result in many symptoms. A severe TBI caused by a car accident could have entirely different symptoms from a moderate TBI caused by a slip-and-fall accident. Following an accident, watch for these traumatic brain injury symptoms:
- Headaches – Headaches can range from mild to intense and may be persistent.
- Speech problems – Someone who has suffered a TBI may have trouble speaking or articulating their thoughts.
- Vertigo or loss of balance – Damage to the brain can result in trouble maintaining your equilibrium.
- Sensitivity to light and sound – When someone’s brain is damaged, they can become sensitive to stimuli such as noise.
- Vision problems – Blurred vision, double vision, and other vision problems may result from a TBI.
- Changes in behavior – The brain controls behavior, so when a person’s personality or behavior may change dramatically when it’s damaged.
- Loss of consciousness – Those who suffer a TBI may experience sporadic or prolonged loss of consciousness.
- Shifts in mood – Anxiety, depression, and other problems may appear after a traumatic brain injury.
- Loss of coordination – If someone suffers a severe TBI, they could lose the ability to control their movements.
- Insomnia or excessive sleep – Sleep problems commonly occur after a TBI.
- Seizures – A serious injury to the brain could cause life-threatening seizures.
Compensation for a TBI
Every case is different, and every TBI comes with its own challenges. But those who suffer a TBI that someone else caused might be entitled to several different types of compensation. These could include compensation for:
- Lost wages and income
- Harm to your future earning capacity
- Related medical bills, now and in the future
- The cost of repairing or replacing damaged property
- Pain and suffering you experience
In the most serious cases, you could be owed punitive damages, which punish egregious behavior. To understand whether punitive damages are appropriate, get in touch with an attorney today.
How The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C. Could Help
At The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C., we understand the consequences of TBIs, and we know how to hold those that cause them accountable. Following a traumatic brain injury, we could assist you by:
- Answering your questions and helping you understand your legal options
- Working with experts to determine the cause of and fault for the accident
- Holding those at fault accountable
- Managing any calls or discussions with insurance companies while you recover
- Negotiating for a full and fair TBI settlement on your behalf
- Taking your case to court and representing you with integrity, if necessary
If you’ve suffered a traumatic brain injury, get in touch with The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C. today. Our compassionate Virginia Beach TBI attorneys are ready to help you seek the compensation and justice that you deserve. Call us at (757) 260-3675, fill out a contact form, or chat with us live to schedule your free consultation.