If you are hurt in a Virginia Beach car accident, your costs will add up quickly. There are medical bills and lost wages, of course, but also things like repairing or replacing your damaged vehicle. You might experience intense pain and emotional distress, which may not have a specific dollar value but can take a toll on your everyday life.
Under Virginia law, you can demand compensation for these and other losses if a negligent driver injured you. You can pursue money through an insurance claim filed with the at-fault party’s insurance company. If you can’t reach an appropriate settlement with them, you and your attorney could file a lawsuit to have a court decide how much compensation you deserve.
Personal injury lawyer Carlton F. Bennett and his team protect the rights of car crash victims in Virginia Beach, the Naval Air Station Oceana Dam Neck Annex, and the surrounding area. When you call our office, we will meet with you to determine what your best course of action for getting the money you need.
What to Do After a Virginia Beach Car Accident
If you have been injured in a car crash in Virginia Beach or the surrounding area, including the Naval Air Station Oceana Dam Neck Annex, you need to do everything you can to protect your rights. Here are the steps necessary to give yourself the best chance of recovering compensation for your injuries:
- Report the accident – Call 911 to ensure the police and emergency medical workers know there has been a crash and someone has been injured.
- Document the crash scene – Use your phone to take pictures of your injuries and the damage to your vehicle. If there is anything in the area that may have contributed to the accident (rain, snow, ice, etc.), take pictures of that as well.
- Talk to the other driver – The key pieces of information you need from the other driver before you leave the crash scene are: Their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, license plate number, vehicle registration number, and insurance information.
- Seek medical treatment immediately – Do not wait to see a doctor after a crash, as waiting too long to begin treatment could make your injuries worse and make it harder for you to claim compensation.
- Save your medical records and receipts – You need proof of all your losses after an accident if you want to claim any compensation. Your medical records are proof of your physical injuries, while your receipts can substantiate the financial burden you are facing.
- Do not give any recorded statements to insurance companies – Insurers will examine everything you say and every piece of information you give them after a crash. You do not want to give them anything they could potentially use against you, and your best bet is to say nothing until you have spoken with an attorney.
- Hire a lawyer – A car accident lawyer can significantly speed up the claims process after a collision so you can recover the money you need more quickly. An attorney can also protect you from making any potentially costly mistakes.
What Can You Be Compensated for After a Virginia Beach Car Accident?
Virginia law affords you the right to pursue compensation for your losses from a crash if a negligent driver has injured you. These losses include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Changes in your future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Changes in your quality of life
- Damaged personal property
Our Virginia Beach Car Accident Lawyers Are Here to Help
Attorney Carlton F. Bennett and his team are ready to vigorously negotiate for the money you need after a collision that wasn’t your fault. Our aim is to see that you are fairly compensated for your injuries. Call The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C., today at 757-260-3675 or visit our contact page for a free consultation, and let us work for you.