Nursing Home Malpractice
The choice to place a loved one in a nursing home is challenging, and you take your choice of nursing home very seriously. Whichever facility you select, you trust it to ensure that your loved one is safe, healthy and happy during his or her stay.
At The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C., our Virginia Beach nursing home abuse and neglect attorney is an aggressive, results-focused advocate for residents and their families. We will ensure that they pay for any and all damages that your loved one suffered. Call our law firm today to set up a free, confidential consultation with an experienced Virginia nursing home malpractice lawyer.
NURSING HOME ABUSE IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM
When nursing home negligence occurs, the consequences can be tragic for your family. The data on nursing home abuse is alarming. Negligence resulting in serious injury or death is much more common than it should be. According to data from the National Council on Aging (NCOA), more than ten percent of older adults have endured some form of abuse or neglect. Public health experts caution that the true number may even be higher, as nursing home malpractice is underreported. Nursing home abuse comes in a wide range of different forms, including:
- Physical Abuse: Physical abuse occurs when a nursing home staff member intentionally harms a resident. Sadly, this horrific form of abuse has been reported in many cases. It could lead to serious injuries including deep bruising, cuts/lacerations, dislocations, broken or fractured bones, internal organ damage, and brain injuries.
- Psychological & Emotional Abuse: Your loved one should be treated well in an assisted living facility. Psychological or emotional abuse can cause severe trauma, leading to feelings of depression, anxiety, fearfulness, withdrawal, and even Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Caregiver Neglect: Neglect is a form of nursing home abuse. Residents require adequate care and supervision. Caregiver neglect can lead to serious illnesses, medical complications, and injuries, including bed sores, dehydration, malnutrition, fall accidents, medication errors, infections, and much more.
- Sexual Assault/Sexual Abuse: Sexual assault and sexual abuse has been reported in assisted living facilities. If you believe that your loved one was the victim of sexual abuse, either by a staff member or any other party, call a Virginia Beach nursing home malpractice lawyer immediately.
- Financial Exploitation: In some cases, staff members use their trust and access to take advantage of a resident’s financial means—essentially stealing money from them. If you believe that your loved one was financially exploited in a nursing home, an attorney can help.
YOUR LOVED ONE DESERVES TO BE PROTECTED
Nursing homes are required to protect their patients. All nursing home residents have important rights under both state and federal law. The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act and Code of Virginia § 32.1-138 provide much needed protections and, if something goes wrong, legal remedies. Unfortunately, not all nursing homes abide by the obligations. Too many do not hire enough staff members or fail to appropriately screen or train their staff members. Sadly, vulnerable people might pay the price for their negligence.
If you worry that your loved one is the victim of nursing home negligence, you should be able to hold the guilty party accountable. Nursing home abuse and neglect is not always easy to detect—especially if your elderly or vulnerable loved one has difficulty communicating. You should always follow up on your suspicions that something is wrong.
YOU CAN TRUST VIRGINIA NURSING HOME ABUSE LAWYER CARLTON F. BENNETT
Nursing home abuse and neglect claims are complicated. Unfortunately, many families struggle to get justice. At The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C., we know how to hold negligent assisted living facilities and long term care centers accountable. With several experts on staff, including a legal nurse consultant who can offer advice and a clear perspective on nursing home negligence that results in serious injury or death, our team is more than ready to take action to protect your family. Our attorneys and support staff use all the available evidence to make a strong case for your loved one to get full financial compensation.
Virginia nursing home abuse and neglect attorney Carlton F. Bennett has the skills and knowledge to handle all types of nursing home injuries and related claims—from neglectful issues like pressure sores and falls to intentional misconduct, including physical abuse and sexual exploitation. Whatever type of experience you are going through, we have helped clients through similarly challenging circumstances. With a focus on getting the best outcome, we are here to help and to represent you confidently, as we have for many other clients.
CALL OUR VIRGINIA BEACH NURSING HOME ABUSE ATTORNEY TODAY
At The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C., our Virginia nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer is a compassionate and effective advocate for the people who need help the most. If your loved one was injured or harmed in an assisted living center, we are more than prepared help. For a free, no-risk consultation about your personal injury case today at 757-486-5454. You can also complete and submit our online contact form. From our office in Virginia Beach, we represent nursing home abuse and neglect claims all over the Hampton Roads area, including in Norfolk, Newport News, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton, and Poquoson.