Virginia Beach Motorcycle Accidents Lawyers
There are over 7 million motorcycles on the road- according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. Warm, sunny weather makes Virginia an ideal place to ride motorcycles. However, motorcycle riders are more likely to be killed or injured than someone riding in an automobile when driving on busy interstates, streets, or highways.
Because of the added dangers and risks of injury, motorcycle riders need their legal rights protected in the event of a collision or accident. The Virginia Beach motorcycle accidents attorneys at The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, PLLC, have the experience and knowledge to represent you if you or someone you know has been injured or killed in a motorcycle accident in Virginia Beach. We can help maximize your recovery for injuries or wrongful death, including medical bills, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, permanent injury, or loss of your loved one.
Frequently, automobile drivers find it difficult to see motorcycles. Additionally, automobile drivers often tailgate and follow motorcycles too close on the road, which makes a collision and serious injury more likely to occur. Poorly maintained roads with potholes and uneven pavement, as well as weather conditions, including wet roads, also pose more of a danger to motorcycle riders than to cars. Additionally, there may be manufacturer defects in the motorcycle itself.
Our experience, thoroughness, and dedication to your case allow us to effectively negotiate with insurance companies and represent you in court if settlement is not possible.
The Importance of Motorcycle Insurance
Having adequate motorcycle insurance is of paramount importance for every rider. Motorcycles present unique risks on the road, and accidents can result in severe injuries and significant financial burdens. Motorcycle insurance provides crucial protection and peace of mind by covering various aspects of an accident. In the event of a collision, comprehensive motorcycle insurance can help cover medical expenses, property damage, and liability costs. Medical bills can quickly accumulate after an accident, including costs for emergency care, surgeries, rehabilitation, and ongoing treatments. Moreover, motorcycle insurance can cover the repair or replacement of your bike, minimizing the financial strain of repairing or replacing your valuable asset.
Additionally, motorcycle insurance can provide liability coverage, safeguarding you against potential lawsuits if you are at fault in an accident that causes injury or property damage to others. It is essential to carefully review your motorcycle insurance policy, ensuring it offers adequate coverage limits to protect your best interests. By investing in comprehensive motorcycle insurance, riders can ride with confidence, knowing they are financially protected in the event of an unfortunate accident. If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident and are navigating the insurance claims process, our experienced motorcycle injury lawyer at The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett can provide guidance and advocate for your rights, helping you seek fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
Common Injuries Sustained from Motorcycle Accidents
The small size and lack of safety features inherent in motorcycles make accidents especially dangerous, often leading to severe injuries. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are 28% more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than drivers of passenger vehicles. Additionally, motorcyclists represent approximately 14% of traffic-related fatalities despite making up only 3% of all registered motorists.
Although many motorcyclists survive their motorcycle accidents, they often suffer serious injuries, such as:
- Brain injuries,
- Road rash,
- Gaping wounds,
- Loss of limbs,
- Sprained muscles,
- Broken bones,
- Internal injuries, and
- Spinal cord injuries.
Many injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents require extensive medical treatment. A small hospital stay can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Any injury that needs constant medical attention and in-patient treatment can easily lead to over a million dollars in medical bills.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, contact a Virginia Beach motorcycle accidents lawyer at The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett. Our team looks forward to hearing from you.
How an Attorney Can Help with Your Motorcycle Accident
Although hiring a motorcycle accident attorney may not be the first thing you think about after a motorcycle crash, it should be a top priority. A motorcycle accident attorney gives you the best opportunity to maximize your potential recovery. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you by:
- Gathering evidence,
- Negotiating with opposing parties and insurance companies,
- Requesting a copy of the accident report from local authorities, and
- Preparing to take your case to trial when a settlement is not possible.
Our team has the resources necessary to hold the opposing party responsible for your damages. We strive to give our clients the compassion and individual attention their motorcycle accident claim deserves. With over 47 years of experience, we know we have what it takes to successfully defend your claim. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment with a member of our team.
Helpful Tips to Stay Safe on the Road
While some motorcycle accidents are unpreventable, there are some ways motorcyclists can maximize their safety on the road. Our team has compiled the following tips to help you stay safe on your motorcycle.
- Wear a helmet: Always wear a DOT-approved helmet to protect your head and reduce the risk of traumatic brain injuries in case of an accident.
- Use protective gear: Wear durable, abrasion-resistant clothing such as leather jackets, pants, gloves, and boots to shield your body from road rash and injuries.
- Follow traffic laws: Obey speed limits, traffic signals, and road signs. Adhering to traffic laws reduces the risk of collisions and keeps you and others safe.
- Be visible: Wear brightly colored clothing and equip your motorcycle with reflective materials to enhance visibility, especially during low-light conditions.
- Stay alert and focused: Pay attention to your surroundings, anticipate potential hazards, and avoid distractions such as texting or using mobile devices while riding.
- Maintain proper distance: Keep a safe distance from other vehicles on the road, allowing enough time to react to sudden stops or changes in traffic flow.
- Check your bike regularly: Perform routine maintenance checks on your motorcycle, including brakes, tires, lights, and signals, to ensure they are in proper working condition.
- Use signals and communicate: Always use your turn signals to indicate your intentions and make eye contact with drivers to ensure they are aware of your presence.
- Ride defensively: Anticipate the actions of other drivers and be prepared to react defensively if necessary. Be cautious at intersections and watch for vehicles making left turns.
- Get proper training: Take a motorcycle safety course to enhance your riding skills and learn defensive driving techniques. Continuously educate yourself on safe riding practices.
As stated above, not all motorcycle accidents are preventable. Sometimes, another driver’s negligence will result in an accident, no matter how safe the other parties are driving. When another person’s negligence results in your injuries, a personal injury claim may help compensate you for your losses. If you have questions about staying safe on your motorcycle, contact our team at The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett today.
Why Choose Us?
When you’re injured, choose the firm with over 47 years of experience. We are confident our firm is the right choice for you because serious injuries are our business.
- Extensive trial experience and proven records of success
- Millions recovered from injured people see our case results
- A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau
- Our attorneys are AV®Preeminnent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, contact a Virginia Beach motorcycle accident lawyer at The Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett.